Man has it been HOT! It's ridiculous that I sweat my butt off before I even get in the saddle! We hit monsoon season so our humidity shot up a bit and it was rather disgusting. It got up to 60 something% last week and it was must miserable on top of the 100*F heat. Bleh!
I think G has been rather miserable too. She has been SO LAZY. We had a fight a few rides ago. I decided to let's do simple stuff and just put her in her hackamore. She usually does so well in it! But that day, we did nothing but FIGHT. She was lazy and didn't want to move out at ALL, hold herself at the canter, would NOT canter on the right lead (her hard side), which she had been doing so well with for a while there. Oh I was just beyond frustrated with her!
I really think I'm going to have the chiropractor/message therapist work on her. She's not really stiff going left, but I really think it will help her relax that side so she can use it better and properly.
Saturday and Sunday she was just fantastic. I put her back in her snaffle and she was a lot happier. Still a bit lazy, but I had also started adding electrolytes to her water and feed; I believe that has helped a LOT. I don't know why I hadn't thought of it. I noticed how much better I felt drinking a Gatorade after riding; the electrolytes in it made me feel so much better and I had a little lightbulb moment. If I was feeling as cruddy and drained after a ride, I can only imagine how SHE felt. So since putting her on the electros, she seems much better and has more energy.
Yesterday we went on a nice trail ride with one of the younger riders at the barn and her Arab gelding, Romeo. We rode for about an hour and a half, just walking in the wash. It's that deep sand so it was still a work out, but I think it helped her clear her mind and just to have fun.
She has today and tomorrow off since I had a lot of errands to do so, we'll see how she goes on Friday.
She is really coming along! Nice post!
ReplyDelete