Miss G seems to be feeling much better. Maybe too much--I should have turned her out or maybe worked her on the ground before riding yesterday. She had a few episodes of bucking and crow hopping at the dumbest things. Then she wanted to canter, so I let her and when she wanted to stop (after three laps around the jumping arena), I said no, you keep going brat and go until I say stop. After a few more strides I had her transition down to a trot and then a halt. It was rough. So we worked on transitions. She fought with me a little bit again, pulling at the bit, chomping hard (I may have a dentist/vet look at her teeth in case it's time they need to be floated), and obviously trying to do what SHE wanted to do and not listen to me.
More transition work and she was finally behaving herself and listening. Doing a nice relaxed slow trot and some circles and figure 8s. We dropped a high cross-rail to make it low enough to just trot over; there were cavaletties set up in front of it, so I aimed her over them. Her concentration and focus was actually on point so we did a few more transitions and that was it.
Today, because of her lack of respect for the bit, I put her in a hackamore. The shanks on it are kind of long and it's not what I would prefer to use (I'd rather have an english one as the shanks aren't as long), but using it is a good reminder to her that I don't have to put anything in her mouth for her to listen. I worked her in the Dressage arena for about 20min. She had a few attitude moments but those were more "normal" than what she's been doing. She was on POINT today. Our only rough spot was picking up the trot to canter transition. She sped up so I'd bring her back down, ask her again, etc., until she did it correctly. She kept herself round and on contact (I had very loose reins) without me having to actually USE the hackamore; the normal pressure had her paying attention. Her trot-walk-trot-halt transitions were absolutely perfect with no sticking her face out. I am so proud of her. She really is such a good girl but she's just been a PITA recently.
Someone on the horse forum (HGS) suggested adding some magnesium to her feed. I've heard from others at the barn how well it has worked for them and their horses so I may give it a go to see if it helps keep her focus/attention span better. I understand she is still young and it's just part of that, but a little bit of help would be nice to train her focus now so it doesn't become a problem later.
I've also personally been working on a few things. Sticking my chest out (even at home, rolling my shoulders back--I have gotten into such a bad habit of slouching...pretty much everywhere) in an over-done fashion .. it's pretty hilarious; and keeping my toes more in. It doesn't bother me too much but I hate seeing pictures of myself with my toes pointing out, hahaha. Its not a huge deal to me but..eh why not work on it?
Some pictures of G from the last few days. She's gotten over her upper respiratory infection and pretty much back to normal. And she's gained weight. She didn't *need* to but I wanted to see a few more lbs on her. She looks good and fit still :)
No comments:
Post a Comment