Tuesday, January 25, 2011

1/24/11 & 1/25/11

Wooo! Shedding season is upon us! Not.A.Fan!

Our little routine as of late has been:

Lunging: Walk, Trot, Canter in each direction (warm-up).
              Transitions. Walk-Trot-Walk-Trot-Halt. Trot-Canter-Halt.Walk-Canter-Trot-Walk-Halt...etc. Each time we do it differently to keep her on her toes. This only takes about 15-20min.

Ground Driving: Walk and Trot only. Transitions up and down. Figure 8's, Serpentines, Halting. Backing up. 10-20m circles. Each direction--about 15-20min total. I am so not in shape for this, hahaha, but even I feel like I am keeping up better as I job behind her.

Yesterday (24), I also rode her in one of the jumping arenas that she is not accustomed to. She spooks, bolts, crow hops, and all-out acts stupid in there. From what I hear, most horses do. Now that I know this, I'm going to make it a point to work her in it for at least 10min a session at a walk and trot only. That and I'll turn her out in there too so she becomes more familiar with it.

I rode her in her favorite arena (our other jumping arena) while my Barn Owner was dragging it. She'd done this before and had a little fit--bucked pretty hard, then hopped and had a few attitude glitches during the ride, but otherwise, she was very good. She's really using her hind end much better but I'm still working to get her lighter up front.

Normally after a ride in the arena, I'll take her for a ride in the wash where there is some deep soft sand. It's quite the work-out and good for her. She hates it, haha, but we'll get used to it. I want to go for some trail rides soon when we learn the area better.

Today I spent most of our time at the barn clipping her. I didn't get pictures, it got dark by the time I was done with riding and such so I'll have to get some later. She did really well and was showing off in the arena for her friend, Tucson. Lol. No bucking, crow hopping or anything, but we only rode for about 15min. Just some walk and trot. We did lunge and ground drive today too. She does so good at ground driving, for the most part, I am so proud of her. She looks so good and people like to watch...esp. since we do it without a surcingle ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment