It finally happened. She's had my number and finally called it today, LOL.
For the record, she's been doing GREAT the last few rides. I've ridden her more than I usually do this week, and she has done great every single ride. Little fuss here and there (which is expected, she's still a baby), but we've been working on canter transitions. She will still try to run into the canter and I'm doing my darndest to not let her. If she starts, we halt and do halt-trot-halt-walk-halt-trot type transitions and then I ask for a canter again. She's starting to pick up the left lead a lot better now too. I was contributing to her not doing so, I realized I had too much weight to the left and didn't shift my weight properly so it was keeping her from picking up the left lead. She only cantered on the wrong lead once :) So proud of her! And that was after our little fiasco :p
So here is the run down of what happened:
We have some HUGE trees that have been needed to be planted. My BO and his buddies had the tractors out (one that was pretty darn big that G hadn't ever seen or been around before. She's used to the ones we have at the barn and she is usually fine with them. I ride her IN the arena WHILE it's being drug...we follow my BO around behind his tractor and G is perfectly fine) digging holes and placing the trees in. This is along the road side near our large arena. The biggest tractor was facing away from the road and towards the arena. It was on and running, just not revved. We walked up to it, the guy knew I was there and I nodded to him that it was okay. I, stupidly, took my attention off G for a split second to adjust myself, grab my crop, and the guy revved the engine (which I was fine with)... and G did NOT like that. She side-stepped to the left, spun on her haunches and LAUNCHED herself.. ZOOM! Totally caught me off guard, lost my balance, my butt was out of the saddle but I tried my darndest to pull her up and to try and get myself back in the saddle.. and then I realized I was too off-balanced and was going to come off. My left foot was already out of the stirrup so I took my right one out and when she LAUNCHED I used to that push myself off her, get out the way of her legs, and I landed on my right shoulder/side. Thankfully, our arena is surprisingly soft to land on :D I will absolutely be sore (already feeling it in my arms and right side) tonight and tomorrow!
My BO ran over and he thought I got tangled under her legs, lol. But I was perfectly fine. A few scratches maybe on my right shoulder. It was easy to laugh off because I had it coming :p At least we got it out of the way now and I'm okay!
She was easy to catch, dusted myself off, and got back on. She was still being silly, and even more so now that her adrenaline was going. She required a very firm hand, but I worked her butt as if nothing happened. The tractor was still going (it makes a different sound when digging than what she was used to hearing) and I made her go past it numerous times and she eventually settled down. We did some great canter work and more trotting nicely. She kept dancing all over but her attention was more on me than the tractor. Once she'd done what I wanted and asked without a fuss, we ended it there. Took her gear off and let her run, chased her a bit in the big arena while the tractor was going. Then she got a good scrubby bath, grooming, some grazing...then her afternoon Noms.
Some pictures from today. Unfortunately no one had a camera around while this happened. It was pretty epic and I would have LOVED to have seen it played back, ahahhaha!!
No comments:
Post a Comment