Thursday, February 21, 2013

Dressage Show Debut!

A little late in writing this... the show was Feb 16th, haha.

Gertie has been quite the busy little spotted bee lately!

First the Julie Goodnight TV show filming and now her very first Dressage show! My first Dressage show too It was the first local schooling show of the season and we have been looking forward to it for quite a while! I decided to keep things as simple as possible so she wouldn't have too much to concentrate on. We did USDF Intro Level A and B; Test of Choice: Intro B (again--which ended up being our second round).

We got there suuuper early. We trailered to the farm with one of my best friends and Gertie's best friend; their ride times were earlier than ours as they did Training level. It was her mare's first Dressage show too! Gertie was a hot mess for a while, acting a fool and forgetting her ground manners. I turned her out in a pen for three hours and she carried on like a psychotic little spotted monkey -_-

During our warm up, she continued to act like a psychotic spotted monkey. I couldn't stop laughing as she crow hopped and bopped all over. Made her work hard and bend, doing fig. 8s and serpentines until her mind was better focused.

Went right into the ring like a pro and she did pretty good! The judge was rather tough, but good!

Intro Level Test A: 58% -- a lot of 6s, a few 5 and 5 1/2s, one 4 (broke into canter--I believe I accidentally brushed her with my spur) and her further remarks: "cute horse, work for a steadier more relaxed connection, straighter on long sides." We placed 3rd out of 7.

Intro Level Test B (TOC): 64% (which is awesome--she was hardly giving folks anything above 67% I believe?? Not sure what the highest score was of the day)--a lot of 6.5s and 7s with one 5.5. She started evading the bit here/going btv but we got the 5.5 on the free walk--more consistent relaxed stretch. Further remarks: "cute energetic horse. Work for a steadier connection; often props too poll low and curls BTV" which is true and we have been working on. I have to really push her with my core to pop her out of it. But this ride felt FANTASTIC!! Still good basic things to work on but all in all I am very happy with it. There was one other gal who did Intro Level Test B TOC but do not believe they did placings anyway. Doesn't matter, it was a good ride!

Here is a link to the video of that ^ ride: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbpbStAUwhw

Intro Level Test B: 57%-- one 4 (my fault--was not straight down centerline and she was fidgeting), a lot of 6.5s, some 6s and 5.5s. This one was just not as great--she fought me the whole way. I don't think she would have if I hadn't ridden by the exit, lol. As soon as we went by it (not in the ring but as we were about to start) she started throwing a fit, thinking we were done. Tensed up, started sucking back and just being a jerk; not paying attention at all. LOL she was clearly DONE, but we still finished it and I was still happy. Her further remarks: "still some tension, but a little steadier in connection; not so behind the vertical this time." We placed 5th out of 10.

I know it's *just* a schooling show, but it IS a big deal to me and a milestone for her/us. Most of you know I've had her since she was 6 months old and have done all of her training all on my own. She's the first horse I've trained from ground up and am incredibly proud of her and of myself. She surprises me at every turn and I love her so very, very much.

We accomplished every goal I had set.

1. Good and consistent geometry (I seriously thought our 20m circles would look like eggs, lol)
2. No crow hopping or bucking in the ring; no taking off
3. No spooking at the judge and the tent she'd be under
4. Don't die
5. Breathe
6. Smile big

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbpbStAUwhw



Pics thanks to my hubby and BFF!















No comments:

Post a Comment