I think I may have forgot to blog about this???
Early in December, my friend Jim sent me a link about an equine TV show looking for cast members. I had heard of Julie Goodnight before and seen a few of the segments on tv a few times, and decided to go ahead and submit an application. We were accepted maybe a week later, super excited! My friend Becky and her horse Ballistyx were also accepted! We are both at the same barn and ride with the same trainer, typically we have our lessons together as well. So it was perfect.
I didn't say much of anything to anyone until a few days before filming the show (Wed. and Thurs of this week) because I didn't want to jinx anything.
ANYWAY. First we had our cast members meeting the Sunday before and got a bunch of free stuff! A new, low profile, Troxel helmet --which is actually pretty awesome! I've always disliked Troxel because they gave you the huge mushroom head and I never found their helmets to fit properly or comfortably. Well, they've finally stepped up their game and came out with a new line. Low profile, like my coveted Ovation helmet, and they fit rather snug and comfortably. I actually really like this helmet. Going to save my Ovation for shows and just use the Troxel for lessons and schooling shows. It's nice knowing I have a backup helmet too. And they're not expensive either. We also got two huge Himalayan salt blocks, a 30 days supply of Cosequine's hoof supplement (!!!), coupons, a knife, a shirt, two hats, and some other stuff.
Tuesday afternoon we loaded the kids up and off we went to White Stallion Ranch in Tucson, Arizona--the location of our filming. They settled in fabulously.
The next morning, I get there a little after 7am to find that our bale of grass hay we had left... was GONE. No one had mentioned that there were FREE RANGE CATTLE out there and those bastards ate the ENTIRE bale of hay. So I had NO grass hay to feed them that morning. I had a few flakes of alfalfa, so I tossed it to them to tide them over. Luckily, a ranch worker came to water the arena and I told him what happened and he kindly replaced the bale of hay. So, our starving ponies wouldn't go hungry. Man, I was pissed, lol. I mean, it's funny and it's not at the same time. I was livid.
Becky and I waited around for a while and people finally started showing up around 830 to set up and then go over/film another person's segment. Not sure what time I went, but tacked Gertie up and waited around some more. She was dressed pretty in her pink saddle pad and I had on khaki breeches and a light pink top.
We went into the arena when it was our turn and rode around to warm her up and get her used to the new place. She was bucking, crow hopping, and just plain being silly. It was okay though! I didn't mind, she's young and was feeling good to show off. She did spook at the cattle chute, which I found hysterical. Walked her up to it and let her sniff it. I made a loud noise to scare her and she jumped, let her sniff again and made the noise again, little jump...and then she was over it.
Now, before I continue, A little back story. Gertie has been in a full cheek single joint
snaffle with a slow twist for the past 8 months, or so, for good reason. But since she has gotten to
the point where we no longer need that bit, I have moved her into a
aurigan eggbutt copper mouth
double joint with a lozenge. She had been ridden in that for a week (right before the show) and
has done super in it. No evading, not pulling on my hands or relying on
me to hold her up, no chomping; really seemed to like it.
Well, for the show, they had sent out emails and reminders over the last
few months and one of the notes said to not change the horse's bit
before the show. So with that in mind, I went ahead and put her slow
twist back in the day of, even though we hadn't used it in a week. She
was instantly unhappy with it. Was behind the vertical and evading the
bit or would pull on my hands or try to rush at her gaits, and we would
fight every few steps--which she hardly ever did previously. Instantly I
realized it was too much for her now. I explained to Julie that
she hadn't done this with the slow twist (much) before AND included why
it had been used previously, what I changed to (the coppermouth Aurigan)
and been riding her in the last week and my reasons why.
Julie also got on Gertie and we talked about similar things we felt. So
we switched bits. I did bring the aurigan bit with me but it was a pain
to go get it, so she had her crew bust out one of their Myler bits.
INSTANT change in Gertie. She accepted it, no chomping, no angry face,
nothing. As soon as I got on her, she was FANTASTIC. If she tried to
evade, I just gave her a good push with my leg and core and BOOM, right
into my hands, round, right up into the bridle. And she stayed that way.
Put her away, then took her out again later for practice and she was SO
much happier. Soft, willing, supple and she moved SO much better in my
hands. A lot less correction and she responded to my body even better as
well.
Julie had us work on lateral flexion. Standing, holding the reins at the buckle with one hand, reaching as far as I could with the other to grab the rein and slowly bring it back towards the pommel..and leaving it there, letting Gertie learn to give to the pressure. Releasing the rein entirely when she did. Then, the other side. After that, we walked and she had me slowly pick up the reins and slowly add contact to her mouth, releasing as soon as she would give to the pressure. Just simple, simple and basic things; things I used to do with her.
Day2, we were first up so I saddled her and went to warm up. She was fantastic the whole time. Julie had a hard time (day 1) figuring out what she wanted to do with our segment. She had said that I knew what I was doing and didn't need much direction or tips from her. Which is super nice to hear, but honestly, a tad bit disappointing to me. I mean, it let me know that I was definitely doing great things and on the right track with Gertie's training (thanks in good part to my own trainer--who has really helped us improve over the last 4.5 months!), but was hoping for a bit more insight. But, that means that I wasn't a screw up as much as I thought I was, lmao!
I learned SO MUCH through this.
Most important being: DO NOT FORGET TO GO BACK TO YOUR BASICS. I should be doing the most basic things with her (lateral flexion) all the time. I have always known I set my expectations high for Gertie, and it was another reminder that even though Gertie is a very fast learner and a very smart horse, that she is still a baby, still young, and keeping on with our basics is incredibly important. No matter how far we advance.
Second: Learning to take and accept compliments. I have always known I am a good rider, people have always said that too, but sometimes it's hard to believe, you know? I sure don't always feel like I'm a good rider and strive and work hard to improve every week. Julie said I am a really good rider and at first I'm like, well... I don't know about that. But it made me stop and think...and realize: I AM a really good rider. I have SO much confidence in my horse to where she is so confident in herself. I need to do the same thing for myself. I need to be confident in MYSELF and my own abilities. Otherwise, I am going to get in my own way and continue to be my own worst enemy. It is hard for me to take compliments and let them sink in and have me believe them myself. That is going to be something for me to work on as well.
All in all, it was an INCREDIBLE experience for me. I learned a lot, realized a lot, and am walking away with a clearer mind. It was nice to get away from the every day barn life. It seriously felt like we had a retreat with our horses and had some horsey bonding time. It was really, really nice.
Becky and Ballistyx did a GREAT job! There was a huge transformation in them from Day1 and Day2. I am so incredibly proud of both of them! I am so thankful to have had such a great friend with me during the show. We typically have lessons together, plan to Event together, so we will be there to help, support, and remind one another of the things we learned and things Julie had said and what we do in our lessons.
Becky and Ballistyx mostly worked on relaxation. She has had him since
he was 3 and has done Endurance with him for the last 10 years, with some Dressage in between. She became a defensive rider; constantly having to pull
him up when he was raring to go and so forth. Now that she is
transitioning to Eventing as well, they need to work on refining their
basics, communicating better, relaxing--less fighting. When she rides
him, he'd go around with his head up in the air, her in a chair seat (as
she was more accustomed to in Endurance--where her saddle would put
her), him not wanting to pay attention and it would take about a half
hour or longer for him to come down and work through his hind end and
back. But, he still would not quite round himself and use himself
properly.
He has been in a Myler loose ring comfort snaffle for the last 10 years and has also outgrown his bit.
Julie had her work on relaxing her body, breathing up through her sternum, using her diaphragm, opening her shoulders, and releasing on her exhale--relaxing her shoulders and elbows. She
had a tendency to keep a death grip on her reins with her arms clenched
to her sides, not letting her arms be shock absorbers; just stiff--which
is what caused him to throw his head up. She worked on relaxing,
changed his bit too (not sure what too--I forget but it was a Myler low port as well, but I think with a loose ring cheekpiece), and she was much
better.
By Day 2, a huuuuuge difference! She really relaxed her body,
opened up her hip angle more, and learned to give him a release when he
would lower his head and push off through his back. She said how she could feel him popping her in the butt when he would lift and work through his back--Good boy!!
We are so pleased with this experience. I'm hoping they come back next year, it would be awesome to see how different we are then than we are now; see the progress and such.
Now on to the pictures!!
warm up
filming
Julie, Gertie, and I
Julie and Gertie
Now Becky and Ballistyx
how he would normally go with his head up
much more relaxed Becky and Ballistyx!
That is SO cool!!! Can't wait for more updates! :)
ReplyDelete