Sunday, August 26, 2012

Gertie's FIRST Jumper Show!!

She was FANTASTIC!! Not only was it her first jumper show, but her first real under-saddle show ever.

My goal was to keep her mostly at a trot and get through the course and over everything. She jumped huge, LOL. She was listening SO well that she almost broke into a walk at some small half-halts, hahaha. I would trot her right up to each fence and she popped over it, usually popping me out of my tack, she has such a powerful rear-end that I'm still not used to--that and she is still figuring herself out. I couldn't grab mane because she has none, I roached it the other day--and was kicking myself for it. I was planning to get a neck strap or even use a strap from a martingale to help keep myself out of her way, but became so frazzled I completely forgot about it and how to ride it seems, hahaha!

There was a bending line that she did well on and we've never schooled a bending line like that. I had to circle her in the first two trips before the same fence because she was trying to run at the jump and I wanted her calm. So no jump off, but that was okay! I didn't even bother to look at the jump off course because it wasn't a priority.

My last trip, I did the wrong course, LOL. But the jump judge (someone I know) just let me continue and finish because G was doing so good. I knew there was a course change, and I knew my course. I had gone to school her a bit more and when I came back for my last trip, I was just so determined to fix our previous errors, I had it in my head that it was the same course, hahaha. And she did it BETTER than the first two! So, when I realized i had done the wrong course, I didn't even care, I was so ecstatic that she learned and did it better that time.

I'm beyond thrilled. This is a HUGE milestone for us. Not only her first real show under saddle, also her first jumping show, first time jumping at night under the covered arena with lights. My coach had more trouble with two of the green horses she was on, same with a few others. I am SO SO SO blessed with my horse. She tries her heart out to please me and she did such an amazing job. I honestly expected it to be a bit more interesting (it was when we were hacking in the arena, omg she was bucking and crow hopping like a mad woman, hahaha--got into a lot of trouble but once I put her over a cross-rail in the schooling ring and gave her a job, her attitude switched) and she was much better than I could ever have possibly expected, to be honest. She continues to prove me and others so wrong.

My friend, Camille, took video, but it's not up yet. I DID almost die at one point. She veered to the right and we almost crashed into the standard. I don't know how I managed to stay on over the jump (this was that bending line) or scoot her over enough to get us over--but we did it. Hahaha. That was our scary moment.

I cried like a big blubbering baby when I put her away in her stall. Many of you know, I have had her since she was 6 months old and have done all of her training 100% on my own, and now having had less than 10 jumping lessons under my new coach's guidance. My emotions hit me like a rock. My baby is amazing and we have come so far together. She has taught me so much. About myself, about horsemanship, about horseownership, love, kindness, patience, appreciation... God has blessed me so much by putting her in my life. I'm proud of her and proud of myself. Her and I did this together. I've ridden and trained/helped train other horses that I loved, some I disliked, but THIS... this was a completely different feeling and emotion; different kind of accomplishment. She is my HEART horse.

We still have a lot to work on, but we will take it one step at a time. There is no rush.

**Please no one take this the wrong way, but: I am just sharing our first under-saddle and jumper show experience as many here have followed Gertie since the day I got her almost 5 years ago; I am not looking for or wanting advice on how to improve, what I did wrong, so on and so forth--I have a wonderful coach for this reason. Thank you : )

Most photos by Alana Carden, some others by my husband.





                Where we almost crashed into the standard and I almost came off. I didn't though!





                                                             My favorite picture

1 comment:

  1. That post made me so emo!!!!!!!!! Proud of you. And her.

    XO
    Amber

    ReplyDelete