Friday, June 1, 2012

Another Lesson--Good Learning!

I swear I say it every time, but I am SUCH a bad blogger.

ANYWAY. Gertie has been doing FANTASTIC the last few months. Had a lesson not too long ago and she/we did great! Always learning a lot. Having my instructor's fresh eyes on the ground helps so much. I'm glad I don't need constant lessons, but I always take a way a lot from the ones I do have. Denise is just fantastic and her instructing style really clicks with me. Even if I take things a little too literal... "drop your left rein"... so I let go completely >.< Even though I KNEW what she actually meant.. my brain needs some time to catch up sometimes, bahahhaa.

Anyway, she had me working on bending and keeping Gertie straight, I have such a tough time with my left leg, even though I ride constantly, it is my weak leg. Getting stronger and I try hard to work on it (my hip drops and causes my leg to swing back, I can't 'hold' my leg properly since there is hardly strength in there) all the time; it's getting better but not where I want to be. I have little patience so, that's my issue. I'm sitting up and taller these days and am super thrilled about that. My shoulders could come back more and I've been working on that for almost a year now. It's a lot better than what it used to be! I've been such a lazy slouch-tastic person the last.... oooh 10 years of my life?? So breaking those old habits are pretty tough, but big chips have been taken out!

We worked on jumping and did a few lines. Gert isn't as squirrely as she was the first few times (so cute though) she did lines and is just adorable. She doesn't even TRY very hard, she just does it. First time she jumped over a gate, didn't care. She really really enjoys the jumping and I had to use SO much leg to keep her going while working on the flat...then we popped over a crossrail and she was ready; she found her energy, hahaha! I just LOVE how enthusiastic she is about jumping. I've been out of jumping for about 3 years now so it's been a tad rough getting back into it for me. I feel worse than I actually am or look (from what Denise and friends told me).. I just feel like I'm too far forward, when in fact, I'm a hair bit back! That and my stupid shoulders come forward and my left leg slips back some.

Oh well, good things to work on! Another lesson next week and we are aiming for a few shows this summer :D As nervous and terrified as I am (I have only shown a few times, I don't count those, and scared the bajeebes out of me--and I royally sucked except when I showed Gertie in-hand) I am really excited at the same time. I'll have to update when the time comes for that.

And of course, pictures!! Courtesy of my wonderful friend, Alana!





VIDEO:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=gBm8LZB1mxU

And from our last lesson:






http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hk8XG0M-UjU&list=FLNBQX3ndUo_wRUkWLdxa2_g&index=3&feature=plpp_video

2 comments:

  1. I'll say it again ... you've done a fantastic job with her! You inspire me to continue, and work even harder with Molly.

    I know how it is being out of lessons for so long, and how nice it is to have fresh eyes on you!

    XXOO

    ReplyDelete
  2. renee, you and gertie are such an inspiration. i havent known you for very long but it has been so wonderful to get to watch you two grow together. you are such an amazing pair and gertie REALLY is the horse version of you. you two are so fantastic. cant wait to see you at your first show with her <3

    ReplyDelete